June 5, 2012

Faces & Monkey Arms

The excitement of being pregnant and having babies is all encompassing. So much planning. So many fun conversations to have.
How will we turn the office into a nursery? What nursery theme do we want to use? What kinds of names do we like?  What kind of car are we going to buy? What will we be like as parents?

I get completely wrapped up in it all. It is literally all that is on my brain. I promise there is an intelligent brain somewhere in there - the kind that doesn't only talk about babies! But with so much to think about, it is so easy to get completely lost in it all.

Yet every once in a while, there is something that yanks me from that blissful planning and excitement mode and throws me right into a freak out. This time it was the doctor's appointment I had a couple of weeks ago. Tadd couldn't get off of work to go with me to this one, and I was okay with that since I was expecting a pretty routine doctor's appointment - go in, chat for a minute, check on a couple things and leave. Imagine my excitement when she said, "Ok, let's do your pap and then we'll go check out those babies on the ultrasound" (Sorry for the bit of a TMI...And, yes, I secretly think this might have been some of the reason Tadd couldn't go!)

I was definitely not expecting another ultrasound! We had even called prior to the appointment and the nurse told us there would not be one. That's really why Tadd didn't come - that and he really couldn't get off work! It was a nutso week for him, I just like to give him crap about it.

Anywho, people had told us we would get to see our babies more often since we are having TWINS, yet I was still very pleasantly surprised when she told me I would get to see them again at the appointment! She said
 "With twins it is difficult to hear each heart beat separately on the doplar - and plus ultrasounds are more fun!"


And let's be honest - SO TRUE!!! I could not believe how big they have gotten. It was so fun to get to see them wiggling around inside of me - and wiggling they were! Active little nuggets. That was the fun part. As I watched the screen and saw them both I had the realization...They have FACES!!! And little monkey arms!

Sure, they are the cutest monkey arms I've ever seen! (Their legs just hadn't caught up quite yet.) And the most adorable faces. But that wasn't the point...the point was that those lil nuggets are no longer the sour patch babies from the first ultrasound pictures! These are REAL little people! Growing all too fast, becoming a very BIG reality.

Yes, pregnancy is all consuming, and literally all I think or talk about these days it seems is the babies, or planning for the babies, or pregnancy tidbits...but those are the fun things. The things that keep my mind literally occupied.

So when something pulls me out of super-planner mode, and I get a slight dose of the reality of it all...I go into a bit (I say bit...Tadd says GIANT) of a freak out mode. For a good few days after the doctor's appointment, I would stare at the pictures. It was almost like finding out we were really pregnant all over again. I went into the mode that randomly I would just text Tadd or call him. All I/the message would say was, "Faces...and monkey arms!"

For a good week after the doctor's appointment I was just completely overwhelmed. Suddenly the kids that I saw around town, or that came into the store with their parents, weren't the cute adorable kids I normally see that make me go awwww inside. No, all the sudden they were the screaming, whining, crying constantly kind! The toddlers that talk back to parents, the newborns that are perfectly content and then just SCREAM - without any hope of consolation.

I tried to tell myself it was just in my head. I swear it was real though- and it didn't help my overwhelmedness one little bit. I can't even really say when my attitude started changing again, or what event made me stop panicking and worrying so much. I can sure say that I am glad it did though.

Now instead I send Tadd random picture messages of things I find shopping around that I can't wait to buy when we find out boys/girls/boy & girl. Things like outfits that I find completely irresistable, or baseball decor for if we have a boy(s), shoes I find at work that must be purchased...Basically all the reasons Tadd tells me once we find out the gender(s) he is taking my debit card away! :)

OH, and yep, we did set the date for the BIG ultrasound! June 27th! Wahoo!!! The days cannot go by fast enough. Excited, ecstatic, elated...none of those words begin to describe the anticipation quite right!

And just in case you thought we were going to be cruel and only talk about the ultrasound pictures...here are the lil nuggets at 14 weeks!


Baby B heartbeat 138 bpm


Baby A heartbeat 146 bpm


And here are both babies (sorta). You can see most of one, and part of the other. Their heads are next to each other, but you can only really see the one's body. 


But seriously, they have FACES!!! And you can't see the monkey arms so much in the picture, but trust me, they were just a movin!

What cute lil nuggets they are already!


2 comments:

  1. Again more reason to love you
    Thanks for making my night full of smiles and joy for you!

    ReplyDelete