June 21, 2012

Father's Day Surprise!

Knowing that I have the world's greatest dad, it is always hard to pick out Father's Day presents. This year just seemed extra difficult...he's building us cribs and dressers after all! I have been looking for the past couple months. I had settled on a nice John Deere puzzle...which I knew he would love - but it still just wasn't quite right.

Now, let me also say, I have the world's greatest mom as well! And seriously. It's not just a plug since I said it about my dad. But mom's are always easier to shop for...at least for me. I know exactly what will put a giant smile on Mom's face. (And if I ever get that quilt finished...she will love it!) Dad's are just more difficult. Okay, let's just be real honest - men are just more difficult to shop for!  
(I have yet to figure out anything for that Daddy of our nuggets/my hubby...)

Anyway - back on track - I had been trying to figure out something to go with Dad's puzzle...and one day the week before Father's Day, I got the e-mail. A 25% off deal for Southwest! The tickets had to be purchased that day, and could only be used the weekend of Father's day! (Can we say a sign?!)

My niece was having a ballet recital the weekend of Father's day and I had wanted to go...but tickets had been too expensive when we talked about going. So, of course I called Tadd at work with his favorite loaded question:
"How much do you love me?"  :)

The response is always,
"Lots...Why?"  
(He quickly figured out in dating/marriage that the question is always followed by a very large favor!)

And of course, this time was no different. I quickly explained the details of the e-mailed offer, and how I had that weekend off, and that it was Michelle's ballet recital, and I could surprise my family, and it could be part of Dad's father's day present, and I felt really bad that I wouldn't even be home for Tadd's first father's day, but I really wanted to go....

Yep, it really did go about like that. Me rambling frantically trying to convince him it was a wonderful idea. With a chuckle he simply said, 
"Slow down...You deserve it. Of course you should go!"

And with that the trip was planned! I called my sister and made sure it was okay I came (like I really had to ask)...and she was the only one who knew! 

Imagine my dad's surprise when they showed up Friday afternoon after a day at the doctor's office with Grandma Chocolate in Denver and came into the living room to find me sitting on the couch! It was almost as good as the surprise on Mom's face when she came in 10 minutes later when she arrived from Alamosa. So many screams! So many hugs! Such a fun filled weekend.

It was a fast trip, but we packed in the fun. My brother and his girls were there, as well as my younger sister and her little boy. All of the kids played so great together. It was a kids only table outside. Adults not invited. They giggled and told stories and just had a blast together. Ahhhh - cousins! Don't we all love them?! I know I love mine like crazy.


 My two year old nephews are only a couple months apart, so we joked all weekend about having twin boys and how this is what it would be like.


If twin boys means we get to do these fun boy things...I am totally game! 

Lincoln Logs!



And Tonka trucks!



And a miniature table for the boys to eat at...



Whose heart wouldn't melt for those things?! Because mine is an ooey gooey pile of mush after looking at these pictures again! 

Even when they aren't all smiles and giggles...



You get this monster face...




 Or the lazy, I'm pooped and too tired to play looks...



Yep, I think I could handle twin boys! Then again, girls really are fun too. And they just bond like boys don't. Boys will play together, but then move on to a new toy and not think much more of it if the other doesn't follow. Girls on the other hand...they are best friends for life. Like these two cousins. If you wondered where one was, just look for the other!  



Plus they do fun girly things like be a ballerina, and pose for a million pictures.



Another fun highlight of the trip was getting to meet my cousin Angela after the ballet recital for lunch. It had been years since I'd seen her or her family. And to make it even more fun - she has six year old twins! Michelle loved that they were all the same age. They were instant friends - instantly planning play dates and swimming adventures together.



And my cousin is alive. She looks GREAT in fact! Twins haven't slowed her down one bit. So there is hope! :)

We missed Tadd. In fact first thing when I got there my (almost) 2 year old nephew Bennett's first words to me..."Where's Tadd?" haha. A question that continued for the entire trip. He's a very loved uncle! Even without him, it was such a fun trip. I can't wait to go back in a month - especially since we're having a baby shower! :) YAY!!

1 comment:

  1. From Angela because it still makes me say anonymus:

    I am alive! Sane....that is still to be determined! HA! Don't fret it whatever you do. You have the strong Dutton woman genes like the rest of us and we rock! They did have an awesome time with Michelle. And it was sooooo cool to see you, I was so suprised! And it wasn't Cousin's Day either.

    ReplyDelete