May 2, 2012

The Nuggets - Part III

Well, I don't really feel like I can put the BIG news off for much longer. I thought about torturing all of you with a post solely about pregnancy tidbits...but let's be honest, we all know why you really keep checking up on our blog. You want the juicy details of the doctor's appointment!

Before we go into those details you should all know...Ever since we found out we were pregnant, Tadd has joked that he thinks twin boys would be FANTASTIC! He would talk about it all the time. In fact, my sister and I as well as my mom and I had many conversations about "What if I had twins"...topics like "How would I nurse them BOTH?!" or "That is a LOT of diapers to change". Stuff like that. We would joke about how it was a possibility since there are twins on both sides of my family.

Not to mention that my six year old niece told us that she thought we would have two babies. When I asked her if she meant one now and one later, she said,
 "No. Two now. There's two babies in Heaven waiting for you".

Now she's the type of six year-old that just might be that in tune with things, but she's also the type of six year-old that has a wild imagination and says random things all the time!

So twins has been the joke all along. But let's be honest...I'm not sure either one of us or anybody we joked with about it actually thought it was really going to happen.

We'd been counting down the days to our doctor's appointment. When I called to make it and they told me we had to wait until 10 weeks I was highly disappointed. I was all geared up to wait only 3 or so weeks for an eight week appt, but our doctor prefers to wait until 10 weeks...which meant FIVE whole weeks until we got in. It seemed like forever. 

FINALLY, the day was here. I kept myself occupied that morning by hanging out with one of my bestest friends Tami and her little girl. We went to the mall and played on the playground, went to lunch...kept ourselves distracted. Apparently VERY well too, because as we got ready to head home so I could go pick up Tadd for the appointment I realized I had lost my keys. They were nowhere to be found! I panicked! 

We looked through every pocket of my purse. Went back to the mall and searched. I called Tadd in a panic. The whole nine yards. Tami assured me if we couldn't find them she would just take us. We pulled into the parking lot of our condo and I was highly disappointed to not see the keys in the parking lot. 

But don't you worry, when I looked up at our door...There were the keys! Hanging IN the door! Apparently I locked the deadbolt and scampered off to Tami's car without at thought. Thank goodness we have good neighbors who didn't steal 'em!

Anywho, that was just to share a little bit of my panic with you! Even if it was random and unnecessary information - it's a funny story. I hurried off to pick Tadd up from work and we were off to the doctor!!!

We checked in and got our paperwork to fill out. But before we could even fill in our address we got called back. Our doctor is fantastic! She came in and asked how I was feeling. When I told her "Terrific!" she looked a little skeptical, and had to double check I was having some pregnancy symptoms at least. 

After chatting for a few minutes with her, we were off to the ultrasound room. She asked if we were ready to see the baby, and I jokingly looked at Tadd and said, "Baby. NOT BabiES!" She chuckled and asked if twins were possible. We told her they could be, that they ran on my side of the family.

"So, you could be next, huh?" She asked. We all kind of laughed. Then she told us, "It would be kind of funny. I just told my nurse today that I haven't diagnosed twins in a while!"

And with that we started the ultrasound. About 30 seconds into it, she let out a slow
"Oh my goodness!"

Like any pregnant lady I started to think of every possible terrible horrible thing that could be happening. She quickly wiped that fear away and said,
"Everything is fine! Don't worry" and with another chuckle,

"You ARE next in line!"

I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for about a minute. I looked at Tadd, he looked at me, we looked at the ultrasound. She told us we were in fact having TWINS! There were TWO heartbeats! See?

(She said the little black hole on the left was one heartbeat, 
and the one on the lower part of the right was another)


I looked over at Tadd. He was now on the floor. Somehow he managed to fall OUT of his chair! Literally! 

And in case you wondered how he would react? 
The laughter began! There were once again tears on both of our cheeks, and Tadd was laughing! (Sound familiar?) :)
He laughed through the rest of the entire ultrasound.

So there you have it. We are having TWINS! The doctor said it looks like they are fraternal. Although she had a bit of a hard time telling if they were sharing a placenta or not. She ended up looking at where the umbilical cords inserted and said that they were far enough apart she really thought these twins were the 
"less complicated" fraternal kind.

And here they are! Baby A and Baby B. Both exactly the same size with healthy heartbeats. 

Two heads




Baby A



Baby B



Baby B - Heartbeat 161 beats per minute



Baby A - Heartbeat 165 beats per minute



There's our lil Nuggets. That's what we started calling them in case you hadn't guessed that by the titles of our posts. 



And here's us after the doctor's appointment

 Putting our happy faces on...



But this is more like what our reaction was like when she first told us.
 
 Say what?!



And after the news sunk in a little more...this is how we were really feeling!
 
TWINS?!?! 


It has been a roller coaster of emotions. They come in waves. First shock. Then overwhelmed. Terrified. Excited. Happy. Then back to Shock! There have been several text messages to Tadd that have simply said
"TWINS!! We are freaking having TWINS!"

And yes, ever since we found out, it is 'TWINS'
not just 'twins'. Because I kinda feel like it is something to be emphatic about. There is no saying it quietly. we are having TWINS! Yep. TWO babies.

But how awesome is that?! I mean really. We are ecstatic. We feel truly blessed. There are moments of terror and overwhelming feelings, but overall we are counting our blessings. Not only are we going to be blessed enough to have a baby of our own, but we get to have two precious gems join our family.

And just for good measure, here's a belly shot from after the doctor's visit. Because let's face it, there's no sense in hiding this belly now! There are TWINS in there!! TWO babies. So it's okay that I'm already showing.




So now that you got to hear the big news, don't just give up on us. We still have plenty of stories to share! How people reacted when we shared the news of TWINS, more pregnancy tidbits...All sorts of good stuff! Plus, pretty soon I will have projects to share. You didn't think we'd forgotten about being crafty around here did ya?

1 comment:

  1. YEAH!! So, I was talking to my boss the other day and there is a bunch of baby stuff in her office I saw that there was two matching swings to which reminded me that my friend is expecting twins! She said that it is actually baby stuff that they bought and aren't using down in the baby room at work and she is looking to sell it. If you are interested in two matching baby swings then I think she said $30.00 each, which is kinda a lot, but cheaper than new. Let me know. . .

    ReplyDelete